Updated: May 21, 2020
Hey Guys! As you may know, I currently offer clients lifestyle newborn photography. So, what does "lifestyle" newborn mean?
A lifestyle newborn session is meant to capture a glimpse of your life with your new little one. This means I don't really do perfectly-posed photos in a studio setting. A newborn session with me will take place in your own home! Posed studio portraits are beautiful, but that's just a different style and it all depends what you are looking for.
But, in my opinion, a lifestyle session in your own home makes the newborn photos all the more special.
We get the must-have photos of all the new tiny fingers and toes, while also capturing what life looked like with your newborn's first week in your actual house... the place where you'll make all your first memories together!
Rocking in the nursery, cuddling on the couch, photos in the nursery. (Also, by the way, we ideally do these sessions within the first ten days of baby being born!)
SO, now that that's covered. Let's go over some tips:
1) We need a warm home for pictures! Do you have a space heater? If not, I have one I can bring! The main goal is to have a nice warm room because that helps keep your sweet baby both comfy and sleepy during the session.
2) Light! Light, light, light. So important for photography. I do work with off-camera flash, but I'll be 100% honest and say it is not my favorite. The best thing is for you to find the most well-lit room of your house (with NATURAL [window] light). THAT spot will be our spot for all the best photos.
3) Setting the mood! Basically, this means... help me help you plan a session time that works around babies feedings and naps! We want baby to be done with a feeding and ready to relax or nap during pictures. (But hey, we also just work around how your little one feels and that's not 100% predictable). I'm ready to sit and chat or do my own thing while you feed your baby again. We do whatever we have to do, sometimes repeatedly!
4) White noise. White noise in the room for photos will help your little one relax!
4) Plan for the props you have in mind for your photos. If you have certain colors in mind for swaddles or outfits etc etc. Ask me and I can help! I can direct you towards the best sources for that look. Or maybe I have the props you have in mind already ready to bring along with me! By props, I mainly mean baskets/blankets/simple items.
Just let me know your vision for photos, if you have some kinda idea, and I will LOOOOOVE to bring that to life with you! The creativity part is one of my very favorite things, and I love to hear all the details of what YOU have in mind.
5) All-white diapers or a white diaper cover. This is an easy thing to overlook but man does it look better to have all-white diapers in the photos. The little yellow ducks on the pampers and all those baby designs on Huggies and Honest diapers are cute, but they also can show up right through a swaddle in a picture and it's distracting. You can get all-white diapers or a diaper cover at Target. Other places too probably, but I know for sure at Target.
6) What to wear? You just can't go wrong with light and airy neutral colors. Why? Because homes can be a little darker and you want to bring as much light into your photos as possible! Mainly though, simple neutral colors are less distracting. The focus of the photos stays on your new baby and the family. You can also keep it a little more casual than you might for other family sessions (no shoes necessary!)- you are in your own home, after all. What's a nice, neutral outfit that still makes sense to wear around your own home? Check below for a few ideas!
Okay, I think that covers it! If you have any questions, I am always ready to answer. But maybe this will help you feel a bit more prepared before your newborn session.
For those reading because you have a newborn session booked, I am SO excited to take these photos for you. For those who are wondering about a lifestyle newborn session but unsure if its for you, I HIGHLY recommend it. Your baby is this little only once.
Shelbi Lauren Photography offers lifestyle newborn photography in College Station, Houston, & Austin TX.